Hardware Lab Supervisor
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 25831
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly owned subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We are more than a company, we are a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: to revolutionize the way the mining industry operates.
With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
This position will be responsible for the organization and oversight of the Hardware Engineering labs. This position will assure that the labs and equipment within the labs are maintained to provide appropriate technical support to the Hardware Engineering team in the development products. This position will also provide technical support to a variety of projects to assure that designs are built, perform as intended, and meet requirements through verification and validation assessment.
The Hardware (HW) Verification and Validation (V&V) Team is responsible for proper operation of the Hardware Development labs as well as the verification and validation of requirements for all designs including components and subsystems. The Team is responsible for all HW V&V strategy and design as well as required test equipment including calibration and maintenance of that equipment. The Team also provides technical support across the Hardware Engineering Teams.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the organization and daily operation of the Hardware Engineering labs
- Specify test equipment to meet development needs, find relevant equipment/vendors, and determine strategy to install and maintain the equipment
- Work with vendors for test equipment installation
- Work with engineers to understand equipment/ lab issues then work with vendors and suppliers to procure test equipment and to perform service and repairs
- Ensure calibration compliance and correct configuration of all test equipment
- Apply 5S Lean workplace organization method to all hardware labs
- Write purchase orders for lab supplies and vendors to calibrate or fix test equipment and/ or buy new equipment
- Work with engineers from Hardware Engineering and other teams (e.g., Marketing, QA, Operations, etc.) to understand issues and needs for new equipment
- Support engineers from Hardware Engineering in their ability to test designs through calibration, maintenance, and acquisition of needed test equipment and organization of the labs
- Apply product knowledge to improve the labs and to support the ongoing projects by performing needed repairs/ testing when called upon
- Plans and budgets for new lab equipment
- In charge of storing of testing devices
- Maintains records of testing equipment and devices
- 1-3 years industry experience supervising the operation of the lab(s) and maintenance of all test equipment in a HW/ Electronics development / repair environment
- Experience working with the 5S Lean workplace organization method
- Experience with development/ maintenance/ repair of test equipment
- Ability to calibrate test equipment
- Flexible/ adaptable ability to work with a team and independently in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Ability to take ownership of work and complete it efficiently and on time
- Team player who puts the success of the team first
- Ability to multi-task without losing effectiveness
- Ability to share knowledge and expertise with others
- Ability to write purchase orders, analyzes data, evaluate results, form conclusions and provide/ implement process or document improvements
- Ability to rapidly acquire new skills and learn on the job
- Effective communication, organization, and time management skills
- Associate degree in engineering discipline or certification from a technical institute (electronics/ electromechanical)
- Familiar with computer configuration practices and interface with test equipment
- Previous experience managing a lab
- Previous experience supporting hardware/ electronics development or manufacturing
- IPC/WHMA-A-620 CIS Certification for building cables/ harnesses
- Experience with various electromechanical/ electronic test equipment and/ or test method development
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.