Senior Computer Scientist
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 23147
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly owned subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We’re more than a company, we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: to revolutionize the way the mining industry operates.
With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
The Applied Sciences department designs and develops real-time optimization engines for automated and manned systems across the mining value stream with special focus on load & haul operation. In addition, it researches and develops predictive models based on data analytics on the cloud and on the edge.
The Applied Sciences department is looking for a Computer Scientist to design and develop flexible and scalable solutions for some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing by utilizing skills in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented programming.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement solution to optimize and automate business decisions using large data sets and algorithms.
- Create low-level design of modules of a software application through proper documentation and diagrams.
- Develop software solutions by studying requirements, clarifying customer/user needs, analyzing data and processes, and following established software development practices and processes.
- Develop proof of concepts for technical evaluation and early customer feedback
- Update and shares knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing technology, reading professional publications.
- PhD. in Computer Science or related with 5+ years’ experience
- M.Sc. in Computer Science or related with 8+ years’ experience
- Strong computer science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Experience on Requirement/Design/Code Review and problem-solving.
- Experience on Parallel and Asynchronous programming
- Expert in at least one major object-oriented programming language (C/C++, C#, Java, Kotlin, or Python)
- Good understanding of database theory and experience in at least one relational DBMS
- Hands-on experience with using Git (handling branching and merging), any DevOps pipeline
- Knowledge in statistics and data science models (K-means, random Forrest, neural nets etc.)
- Familiar with data modelling, frameworks and tools such as Databricks/Spark, Postgresql, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Kubernetes
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with Agile methodologies
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.