Senior Operations Research Engineer
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 22567
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly owned subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We are more than a company, we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: to revolutionize the way the mining industry operates.
With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
The Applied Sciences department designs and develops real-time optimization engines for automated and manned systems across the mining value stream with special focus on load & haul operation. In addition, it researches and develops predictive models based on data analytics on the cloud and on the edge.
The Applied Sciences department is looking for an Operations Research Engineer to design and develop flexible and scalable solutions for some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing by utilizing skills in optimization models, algorithm design, and object-oriented programming.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement solution to optimize and automate business decisions using large data sets and algorithms.
- Design and develop optimization models and algorithms with and without commercial solvers following established software development practices and processes.
- Study requirements, clarify customer/user needs, analyze data and processes
- Develop proof of concepts for technical evaluation and early customer feedback
- Update and shares knowledge by studying professional publications, state-of-the-art algorithms, programming techniques, and computing technology.
- PhD. in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, or related with 5+ years’ experience
- M.Sc. in Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, or related with 8+ years’ experience
- Experience in designing, implementing, and testing analytic and/or algorithmic solutions to business or operational problems
- Background in design and development discrete, nonlinear, or stochastic mathematical optimization models and combinatorial optimization algorithms
- Experience in decomposition approaches to solving large-scale optimization problems
- Experience with optimization modeling languages (e.g., Pyomo, GAMS) and solvers (e.g., Gurobi, CPLEX)
- Expert in at least one major object-oriented programming language (C/C++, C#, Java, Kotlin, or Python)
- Understanding of data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge in statistics and data science models (K-means, random Forrest, neural nets etc.)
- Familiar with data modelling, SQL, frameworks and tools such as Databricks/Spark, Postgresql, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Kubernetes
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience with Agile methodologies
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.