Senior Regulations & Compliance Engineer
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 27847
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Ensure that all Mining products comply with safety, environmental and other regulations in North America. Obtain or provide legal declarations that products meet necessary standards.
Ensure that the Komatsu Ltd. Development and Marketing organizations are informed, not only of current, but also proposed and impending regulations. Utilize industry associations and governmental agencies for this purpose. These regulations include national, state / provincial and major municipal regulations in North America.
Work with Engineering and overseas personnel to ensure that components being exported meet regulatory standards in the importing countries (e.g., USA, Canada, Europe, Mexico, Chile, Brazil etc.)
Up to 25%
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain categorized matrix of regulations for each region of North America to ensure that all Technical Centers (in USA, Europe and Japan) design to meet these standards and regulations. Work with KLtd. Development Division. Inform and train design engineering staff as required.
- Research North American governmental websites and report new regulations or updates to existing regulations.
- Cultivate constructive relationships with governmental agencies in order to correct issues quickly and to learn of impending changes in legislation.
- Respond to questions from Modular Marketing, Legal, Sales, and Service staff pertaining to required local regulations and interpretation of emissions regulations. Provide certifications that products meet these regulations, when possible.
- In the event of out-of-compliance issues, discuss and plan a short-term resolution with Regulations & Compliance Group management and related Modular staff. Work with responsible Komatsu Ltd. to resolve the issue with a permanent countermeasure.
- Report to Regulations & Compliance Group management any issues that may affect Komatsu’s interests.
- Administers an external website database of compliance and safety information, ensures information is up to date, structures the database to provide applicable compliance information to customers on company products regarding product compliance and safety.
- Provide a compliance plan in coordination for each project and execute pre-compliance tests whenever required.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree and at least 8+ years of experience in construction, mining, or utility equipment.
- Detailed, practical knowledge in operation, troubleshooting, repair and evaluation of mining equipment – especially including competitive models. Ability to operate and compare Komatsu models is essential.
- Detailed knowledge of customer applications including surface mining, etc.
- Detailed knowledge of machine systems including electrical system, operator protective equipment, operator ergonomics, entry and exit systems, sound levels, exhaust and emission control systems, etc. Knowledge of test procedures required to measure performance in these areas.
- Ability to work productively with Distributor, Customer and Komatsu Sales personnel in order to resolve issues and potential issues involving safety and regulatory issues.
- Ability and willingness to travel, including international travel.
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.