Senior UX Designer
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 24863
Onsite or Remote: Partial Remote Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly owned subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We are more than a company, we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: to revolutionize the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas, and be yourself.
As part of Komatsu’s UX Design team, you will assist in the entire design process of creating “an exemplary user experience that meets the exact needs of the customer, without fuss or bother.” You will dive deep into the user environment to understand, categorize, prioritize, and document user behavior and stakeholder requirements. With that understanding, you’ll design useful, usable, and desirable solutions, lead design reviews, and test your concepts with end users. You will contribute to a growing design system and freely develop your skills as a designer. You will coach designers on UX best practices and collaborate with business partners at all levels to further establish a human-centered design culture.
If you are an empathetic, driven, and creative UX designer who wants to produce practical solutions in a dynamic and team-oriented environment, this is a great opportunity to work side by side with some of the biggest innovators in the Mining technology industry.
Some domestic and international travel is required to attend both internal and external meetings.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Each day will present you with new challenges and opportunities to test and grow your skills. As a Senior UX Designer with Komatsu, you’ll be responsible to:
- Lead in planning, conducting, and analyzing user research activities like competitive analysis, workshops, interviews, ethnography, contextual inquiry, and expert reviews
- Lead design activities such as task analysis, journey maps, personas, workflows, wireframes, storyboards, mockups, prototypes, and design specifications
- Evaluate design solutions with actual or representative users and then analyze and prioritize that feedback to drive new design iterations
- Use design tools and software to communicate design intent to other designers and project stakeholders
- Coordinate with Product Managers and development teams to translate design concepts into productized user interfaces while adapting to technical and scheduling constraints
- Understand and apply UI best practices and principles in areas like psychology, usability, learnability, controllability, localization, and internationalization
- 4+ years of experience as a UX, Product or Interaction Designer
- Completed education in Design, Human Computer Interaction, Psychology, or similar
- Experience leading user research to identify pain points and user requirements
- Master in design software like Sketch, InVision, Figma, and Illustrator
- Experience leading user testing planning, execution, and analysis
- Excellent communication, presentation, and storytelling skills
- Strong knowledge of UX processes and methodologies
- Excellent time and project management skills
- Experience driving human-centered design initiatives
- Experience creating and managing a design system
- Strong desire to learn new skills and open to receiving feedback
- Enthusiasm coaching designers
- Experience with motion design and animation
- Strong knowledge of Human Factors principles and application
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Experience designing for high-risk environments
- Speak 2 or more languages
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.