Site Reliability Engineer
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 23292
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly owned subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We’re more than a company, we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: to revolutionize the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas, and be yourself.
Responsible for applying software engineering practices to solve operational problems, ensuring reliability on the monitoring of our running systems including Continuous Application Delivery, Health Monitoring and Alerting, Operations Support and Configuration Management to provide value in use to our customers.
- Domestic travel: 25%
- International travel: 5%
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively researches, selects, configures, and deploys observability and deployment tools, frameworks and processes, to increase the company’s efficiency to early identify and trace incidents that would affect production environments.
- Facilitates sustained improvements, based on findings/recommendations.
- Ensures customers are obtaining value from Modular products.
- Reviews implementation by developers and provide constructive feedback, records issues as technical debt when found.
- Avoids duplication of work by raising awareness when teams develop parallel solutions while effective standards already exist.
- Establishes communication channels with other teams and maintains some familiarity with the department’s development roadmap, identifying risks and aligning work, promoting re-use and efficiency.
- Documents and Maintains guidelines and standards for Site Reliability Engineering tasks, shares the knowledge and documents the work done.
- Works on an on-call, follow-the-sun support rotation, shared between team members in different time zones to minimize individual exposure to after-hours shifts
- Able to work remotely at least part-time, due to the remote nature of our system deployments
- Collaborates and communicates across business units within Modular to achieve goals and objectives.
- Maintains compliance to all legislative, Modular and customer site policies, rules and requirements.
- Reinforce awareness and demonstrate commitment that safety is our top priority and “zero accidents” is achievable.
- Degree in Engineering or other related field or equivalent prior work experience.
- Proficient in scripting languages.
- Proficiency in containers and orchestration platforms (Docker and Kubernetes are preferred)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines (Azure devops is preferred)
- Experience with cloud providers (Azure is preferred)
- Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code (IaC) and Configuration-as-Code (CaC) concepts and tools (Ansible and Terraform are preferred)
- Knowledge about microservices architecture, concepts, and best practices
- Experience with observability/monitoring (Grafana, Prometheus, EFK stack, DataDog, and Jaeger are preferred)
- Experience using/working with Linux environment
- Strong analytical, debugging, problem-solving and root-cause analysis skills.
- Experience with Configuration Management concepts and tools such as Version Control, Branching Strategies, Issue and Project Tracking tools, Release Management, and Continuous Integration.
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.