Software Engineer II
Location: Tucson, AZ, US, 85706
Req ID: 26701
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry.
We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly owned subsidiary of Komatsu Ltd. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We’re more than a company, we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: to revolutionize the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas, and be yourself.
Position: Software Engineer II – Backend
The Applied Sciences department designs and develops real-time optimization engines for automated and manned systems across the mining value stream with a special focus on load & haul operation. In addition, it researches and develops predictive models based on data analytics on the cloud and edge.
The Applied Sciences department is looking for a Software Engineer to design and develop flexible and scalable solutions for some of the most complex challenges in large-scale computing by utilizing software engineering, parallel computing, and object-oriented programming skills.
- Work with algorithm developers, Operations Research engineers, and architects to implement solutions to optimize and automate business decisions using large data sets and algorithms.
- Design and develop domain services integrated with optimization engines
- Develop proof of concepts for technical evaluation and early customer feedback
- Study requirements, clarify customer/user needs, analyze data and processes
- Update and share knowledge by studying professional publications, state-of-the-art algorithms, programming techniques, and computing technology
- Understand the Modular applications domain and pro-actively interact with product teams to improve functional and nonfunctional aspects of platform components
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years of proven experience in Software Development
- Excellent coding skills in at least one primary object-oriented language (C#, Kotlin, Java, C++)
- Demonstrated knowledge of software engineering best practices, patterns, and anti-patterns
- Ability to understand and enhance large and complex system architectures
- Ability to document system and components design using UML-like tools/frameworks
- Solid understanding of performance-critical, real-time, highly available, and distributed systems
- Strong analytical skills, experience with domain modeling and requirement elicitation
- Core programming knowledge in multi-threading, garbage collector, advanced debugging, and memory profiling
- Demonstrated problem-solving ability and attention to details
Experience with some of the industry standard frameworks, such as AMQP Messaging tools, gRPC, REST, Kafka, Serialization Protocols, Docker, RDBMS
Experience with databases modeling and ORM frameworks
Good knowledge of computer networking and the TCP/IP stack
Experience in distributed microservice-driven architecture
Experience developing systems using cloud technologies is desirable
Strong written and interpersonal skills, ability to effectively interact with local and offshore development teams
Experience developing mining systems is a plus
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit komatsu.jobs.