Software Engineer II – AHS
Location: Belo Horizonte, BR
Req ID: 23171
Onsite or Remote: Onsite Position
Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics, and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
Modular Mining Systems is the global leader in mine management technology and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Komatsu LTD. Our innovative technology powers mine operations in every corner of the globe. The products we cultivate, the solutions we engineer, and the service we deliver set us apart in the Mining Technology industry. We’re more than a company, and we’re a community of passionate, creative professionals striving toward a shared vision: revolutionizing the way the mining industry operates. With a presence stretching from Johannesburg to Vancouver, Sydney to Lima, you are part of a global brand that supports creativity, fosters innovation, and encourages you to think big, share ideas and be yourself.
The Autonomous Haulage System (AHS) is a comprehensive fleet management system for mines. The autonomous dump truck, jointly developed by Komatsu Ltd., Komatsu America Corp. and Modular Mining Systems, Inc, is centrally controlled through a wireless network that integrates on-board vehicle controllers, high precision global positioning, and obstacle detection and avoidance systems. The system has full supervisory logic that utilizes complex data fusion to control the dump truck to safely operate through a load, haul and dump cycle and allow integration with other mine vehicles such as light vehicles, dozers, loaders, graders.
As part of our Product Development team, you will have the opportunity to research, design, build, and improve our Autonomous Haulage System. From design to production, you'll have a leadership role at each step of the development lifecycle. You'll be tackling tough challenges that require innovative out-of-the-box thinking. If you consider yourself someone who can apply technical know-how to create practical solutions in a dynamic and team-oriented environment, this is a great opportunity to work side by side with some of the biggest innovators in the Mining technology industry. The AHS Team collaborates with the Systems Architecture, Embedded Systems and Communications, and Synergy Platform Teams developing, and evolving AHS features and platform.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
Each day will present you with new challenges and opportunities to test and grow your skills. You will be part of a talented software team that works on mission-critical applications directly related to Komatsu’s AHS functionalities and improvements. As an AHS Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Producing and maintaining high quality, tested and efficient code, following industry standards
- Developing proof of concepts for new, innovative solutions
- Performing analysis, estimating work, creating and updating software architecture and design
- Understanding Modular applications domain and pro-actively interacting with product teams to improve functional and nonfunctional aspects of platform components
- Providing technical oversight to development teams and contractors in subject area.
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent
- 3+ years of shown experience in Software Development
- Strong coding skills in at least one major object-oriented language (C#, Java, C++)
- Core programming knowledge on multi-threading, garbage collector
- Knowledge with CI/CD build and deployment pipelines like Azure DevOps
- Proven problem-solving ability and attention to details
- Proven success in ensuring consistent software architectural approaches & methods are used for efficient and effective product development
- Participate in pivotal process, standard, and guideline discussions for architecting the Autonomous Haulage software system.
- Demonstrated knowledge of software engineering best-practices, patterns and anti-patterns
- Strong written and interpersonal skills, ability to effectively interact with local and offshore development teams
- Experience in object oriented analysis and design using common design patterns
- Strong analytical skills, experience with domain modeling and requirement elicitation
- Knowledge with database modeling and development (SQL, mySQL), and ORM frameworks (Hibernate, Entity Framework etc.)
- Good knowledge of computer networking and the TCP/IP stack
- Experience with developing REST APIs
- Solid grasp of performance-critical, real-time, highly available and distributed systems
- Knowledge with some of the industry standard frameworks, such as ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Protobuf, Fluentd, OpenTracing, Zipkin, Telegraf, Prometheus, Envoy, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.